1. Wash 5 medium (about 1.5 pounds) red skin potatoes thoroughly with a vegetable brush.
2. Cut into cubes with the skins on and gently boil until the potatoes are tender (I add a little salt to the water as they are cooking).
3. Drain the potatoes and return them to the hot pan. Turn the fire back on if needed to evaporate the water from the potatoes.
4. Partially mash the potatoes.
5. Stir in sour cream, cream cheese, grated cheddar cheese, bacon bits (I use Oscar Meyer or Hormel. They come in 3 oz. containers so I use half) & green onion (thinly sliced including the green tops).
Spray a casserole dish lightly with cooking spray and add your casserole. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree oven for up to 1 hour.