Plexus slim review
While some people suffering from overweight try to lose excessive inches satisfying their hunger with the help of low-calorie meal replacement shakes, others rely on dietary supplements that are able to burn existing fat. One of such products is Plexus Slim produced by American company Plexus Worldwide and distributed through multi level marketing model. This is a powder offered in the form of a sachet containing single dose of dietary supplement which should be diluted with water and drank 30 minutes before eating. The product is very popular both in the U.S. and outside the country, but is it really effective and safe as it is claimed by the manufacturer?
What’s in it?
As you may know, some substances are proven to have an effect on metabolism allowing to speed it up or to burn fat in some way. Plexus Slim formula does contain at least two of such substances.
- Chlorogenic Acid is found in significant quantities in coffee beans and some other plants. This plant extract is regarded as a powerful antioxidant, reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases, having antiviral and antibacterial activity and showing hypoglycemic, hypocholesterolemic, hepatoprotective, antitumor activity. In theory, it blocks the release of glucose from glycogen and thus creates a situation when the body fat is burned first and foremost leading to weight loss.
- Citrin K is a substance derived from Garcinia Cambogia, the fruits of which contain a large amount of Hydroxycitric acid promoting weight loss and speeding up metabolism (by blocking enzymes responsible for the transubstantiation of glucose to fats). Also it contains pectin providing fast satiation and allowing to control hunger.
Other Plexus Slim components have more effect on blood sugar and cholesterol levels than on fat burning though they are 100% natural, indeed:
- Chromium Nicotinate is a substance in which chromium is supplemented by niacin and which is used in some nutritional products for regulating blood glucose levels.
- Alpha lipoic acid is a representative of vitamins with antioxidant action. It helps to reduce the concentration of glucose in blood and to increase glycogen level in liver as well as it is involved in the regulation of lipid and carbohydrate metabolism and stimulates metabolism of cholesterol. Alpha lipoic acid has hepatoprotective, hypolipidemic, hypocholesterolemic and hypoglycemic effect.
- Polydextrose is known, clinically tested and approved by FDA as soluble dietary fiber made from natural products (E 1200 by the international classification). It is widely used in production of low-sugar food and beverages as well as low-fat products since it is very similar to sucrose by technological characteristics but its energy value is only 1 kcal/g which is 4 times lower compared with sugar and 9 times lower than that of fat.
- Stevia Extract is a substance of plant origin widely used as a sweetener in Japan and recognized as a dietary supplement in the U.S. and Canada. Medical researches showed good results of using stevia within low-carb and low-sugar diets for the treatment of obesity and hypertension.
As for the overall effect of Plexus Slim, the effectiveness of this dietary supplement in weight loss has been studied only within one clinical study conducted with the participation of people suffering from diabetes and related overweight. The study confirmed reducing glucose levels as well as loosing weight but the number of patients was too small for far-reaching conclusions. Still many people say for Plexus Slim and at least there is no evidence to suggest that this dietary supplement has any side effects. The only obvious disadvantage of Plexus Slim is its high price, while natural components and no caffeine are the evident advantages.