Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Minutes
Ready In: 11 Minutes
This recipe is one my Mother used to make when I was growing up. I remember always begging her to have the empty bowl to lick. This gingerbread tastes great warm out of the oven but it always seems to taste better each day after it is baked ........if it lasts that long!! Enjoy
225 g flour (or 8 oz)
1 pinch salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
50 g soft brown sugar (or 2 oz)
100 g butter (or 4 oz) or 100 g margarine (or 4 oz)
175 g black treacle (or 6 oz) or 175 g molasses (or 6 oz)
50 g golden syrup (or 2 oz)
150 ml milk (or 1/4 pint)
2 eggs, beaten
1. Heat oven to 150 degrees C/300 degrees F, Gas mark 2.
2. Grease and line a 7 inch square baking pan.
3. Sieve together flour, salt, spices and bicarbonate of soda.
4. Stir in the sugar.
5. Melt the butter, treacle and syrup over a gentle heat, Gradually beat in the milk making sure the syrup and sugar mixture is not too hot Allow to cool slightly.
6. Add the beaten eggs to the mixture and stir well, next add the dry ingredients to the treacle mixture until combined - do not over mix.
7. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 and 1/4 hours.