1. Skin chicken if desired.
2. Mix together buttermilk, hot pepper sauce and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl or large plastic bag; add chicken and turn to coat.
3. Chill for 2- 24 hours, turning occasionally to keep chicken well coated.
4. Drain chicken in a colander until well drained; discard buttermilk mixture.
5. Mix together flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a bowl or large plastic bag; add chicken a few pieces at a time and turn or shake to coat well; tap off excess flour.
6. Melt shortening or oil in a deep, heavy 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches 365 degrees.
7. Carefully place chicken, meaty sides down, in hot shortening/oil.
8. Cook chicken, uncovered, for 10 minutes (temperature will drop when you add chicken, so don't begin timing until all chicken is added).
9. Use tongs to turn chicken; cook for an additional 10- 12 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
10. Remove chicken from skillet and drain well.