Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Ready In: 35 Minutes
A great way to use one of those salmon gift packs you got for Christmas. Uses no heavy cream and little butter, making it pretty healthy, as the only real oil is super healthy fish oil. The Wondra flour is not essential, but i like to use-makes for a smooth soup fast. Freezes well.
1 (16 ounce) smoked salmon fillets
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
1 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
4 tablespoons wondra flour
2 (14 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
3 cups red potatoes, skins on,cut in golf ball size chunks
2 cups carrots, sliced fairly thick
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can creamed corn, i prefer walmart great value
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons old bay seasoning
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream or 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt
1. drain salmon of all oil, remove skin and scrape off any dark parts on the underside.
2. break into chunks and set aside.
3. saute the onion, celery and gr pepper in butter til soft.
4. add Wondra or regular flour.
5. add 2 cans broth and stir thoroughly.
6. bring to boil, add potatoes and carrots.
7. drop to low heat and cook 8-9 minutes.
8. add seasonings, salmon, canned corn, and sour cream or yogurt.
9. heat thoroughly, then set aside while the flavors marry for a few minutes.
10. You may need to add some water before serving, as it can get thick.
11. Serve with crusty dark bread and a salad.