Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 35 Minutes
I am so excited about this soup! It is a chicken broth soup flavored and textured by a bright salsa puree and has mozzarella melting in the bottom of the bowl! It is extremely simple to make. If the directions seem long, it's only because I've given lots of notes. Very little chopping and very little cooking to this recipe. I think the melting mozzarella makes this broth soup special! What I like most about serving this low-cal soup is that it can be easily adjusted to meet the taste of your guests . There are garnishes that add the finishing touches to the soup and make this recipe fun for entertaining. You can add any of the garnishes to the soup immediately before serving if you prefer, but I would NOT add the sour cream. Even if you temper the sour cream, it makes the soup cloudy. I simply put a small dish of sour cream on the table for each guest. I dip the tip of my spoon in the sour cream and then take soup on to the spoon. I'm one of those perfect bite kind of people, that's why I love serving the soup with the garnishes!! Enjoy!!
6 ounces cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes may be substituted (approximately 1 cup)
1 cup red onion, chopped into large pieces (about 1/4 of a large red onion)
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 teaspoon cumin, preferably ground fresh
1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh
1/2 jalapeno, seeded with ribs removed and chopped large
3 1/2 cups chicken broth, preferably low-sodium (two 14 ounce cans)
1 teaspoon lime juice, fresh
1 tablespoon cumin, fresh ground
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, purchased in a ball not grated (note! do not add cheese to soup pot)
cilantro, chopped medium to medium fine
jalapeno, chopped fine (use other half of jalapeno)
avocado, cubed (1 or 2 avocados depending on need)
1. Place broth into your favorite soup pot. Heat broth on medium.
2. Meanwhile, in a food processor (if you don't have one, use a blender), chop the onion and garlic, using 1 second pulses until well chopped, but not mushy, about 8 pulses.
3. Add tomatoes, jalapeños, cumin, 1 tablespoon lime juice and pulse until mixture is very fine, almost pureed.
4. You should have just about 1 cup of salsa.
5. Turn up heat under soup.
6. Add shredded chicken to broth.
7. When soup just starts to simmer add salsa mixture, 1 tsp lime juice, and 1 tablespoon cumin.
8. Quickly stir and remove from heat. (You just want to incorporate the salsa, not cook it).
9. Adjust seasonings to taste.
10. To Serve:.
11. Cut mozzarella into to half inch thick round slices and place slices in bottom of soup bowls.
12. Ladle the simmering broth into bowls over the cheese.
13. Let the soup sit for about 2 minutes, to allow the heat of the soup to soften the mozzarella.
14. Serve with garnishes on the side.
15. (If you choose to add the garnishes before serving, add them right before serving so as not to cook the cilantro or avocado. I do not recommend adding the sour cream ahead of time).
16. Make sure to tell your guests that there is wonderful melted cheese on the bottom of the bowl!