1. Simmer the potatoes in salted water to cover until tender, about 15 minutes.
2. Drain and cool under running water, peeld and cut into 1/4 inch dice.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium.
4. Add the onion and potato and fry stirring regularly to ensure that nothing sticks to the pan until the mixture is nicely browned 10-15 minutes.
5. While the potatoes are browning, seed the chiles and slice them into 1/8 inch strips.
6. Stir them into the potato mixture, season with salt and remove from the stove and stir in the cheese.