1. Season the meat with the salt and pepper. Heat 11/2 tablespoons of the
2. oil in a large Dutch oven set on medium-high heat until sizzling, about 2
3. minutes. Brown the meat on both sides in the hot oil, about 3 minutes.
4. Transfer the meat to bowl and set aside.
5. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and heat on medium-high heat
6. until sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and
7. pancetta and cook for 1 minute. Add the onion, carrot and celery along
8. with the bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and parsley. Cook for 3-4
9. minutes, until almost dry. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1-2
11. Pour in the wine and beef stock and bring to a boil, stirring to dislodge
12. any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Return the cooked meat
13. and any accumulated juices to the pan, reduce the heat and simmer,
14. covered, for 3-4 hours. Transfer the meat to a cutting board to rest,
15. covering it with a tent of foil to keep warm.
16. While the meat is resting, bring the cooking liquid to a boil and cook,
17. stirring frequently, until reduced by half, about 30-40 minutes. To make
18. a smooth sauce, puree the vegetables and liquid in the pan with a hand
19. held blender.
20. To serve, arrange the meat slices on a serving platter with the sauce
21. served on the side.