Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Ready In: 30 Minutes
I left out the jalepeno all together but I would substitute green chilis if I wanted a tiny bit of heat. Your choice. We topped this with green chili taco sauce. YUM.
4 corn tortillas
canola oil, to fry tortillas
8 large eggs
4 tablespoons half-and-half cream
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
2 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 -2 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced (optional)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup grated monterrey jack cheese or 1 cup cotija cheese
1. In a bowl, whisk together eggs and half & half. Salt and pepper eggs, then set aside.
2. Cut up tortillas into strips then dice. In a small skillet over medium heat, heat oil and fry until crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onions and bell peppers and cook until starting to turn brown/black, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add in diced jalapenos and stir to combine.
4. Reduce heat to low. When the heat has decreased, pour egg mixture into skillet. Stir gently to cook with the peppers, folding mixture very gently as it cooks. Add tomatoes and cilantro and heat through.
5. Top with grated cheese at serving.