1. Strip the tough membranes off the broccoli and thinly slice the florets (I use the stalks also).
2. Have all ingredients cut and ready to go.
3. Use a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid.
4. Add water or broth to the skillet, raise heat to high. Once the liquid starts boiling, lower heat and steam the veggies and chicken (if using), for about 3-4 minutes, depending on degree of crispness or tenderness desired.
5. Uncover to make sure that liquid has evaporated.
6. Add oil, soy sauce and peanut sauce; fry quickly for about a minute.
7. Season to taste with black and/or cayenne pepper.
8. If you are adding cashews and want them very crunchy, sprinkle them on top just before serving. If you want them slightly tenderized, add them earlier so as to briefly cook them.
10. NOTE: If your snow pea pods are very young and tender, you may want to add them a couple of minutes after beginning cooking.