Low Fat Bisquick Crust Bacon and Cheese Quiche
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Ready In: 55 Minutes
Amazingly, the quiche will form its own crust. I think this quiche tastes best when it’s made the evening before and heated up the next morning. If you use a blender instead of a whisk, process the Bisquick, eggs, milk, pepper and salt for about 15 seconds; afterwards, by hand mix in the onion and garlic. Optional: Use 1/2 lb Canadian bacon in place of bacon and top with tomatoes. Or Swiss cheese instead of cheddar.
8 slices bacon, cooked & chopped
1 small onion, chopped & sauteed
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped & sauteed
1/2 cup bisquick (heart smart)
2 cups nonfat milk
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (or lawry's seasoned salt if you have it!)
1 1/2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cook the bacon in a medium frying pan. If you use turkey bacon I recommend spraying the pan with cooking spray.
3. After you have removed the bacon from the pan, use the same pan to sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until softened.
4. While the onion and garlic cook, chop up the bacon.
5. In a large bowl beat the eggs and milk until just blended.
6. Add to that mixture the Bisquick, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix by wire wisk for about 1 minute (some small Bisquick lumps are fine).
7. Spray pie plate or muffin tins with cooking spray.
8. Pour Bisquick mixture evenly into the pie plate or muffin tins.
9. Sprinkle bacon and cheese on top of egg mixture; gently press below surface with fork.
10. Bake the quiche until the top is golden-brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. If you have a thermometer the internal temperature of the quiche should be between 165 – 185 degrees Fahrenheit. Let stand at least 10 minutes before cutting.
11. Baking time: Pie plate - 40-50 minutes or Muffin tin - 20-25 minutes.
12. Makes 8 servings: 1 slice of quiche or 2.5 muffin size quiches.