1. Peel and devein the shrimp, reserving the shells for later use.
2. Mix sherry, soy sauce, cornstarch, egg white (?) and 1/4 cup water.
3. Marinate shrimp in above mixture for about 1/2 hour.
4. Meahwhile, put shrimp shells in a small saucepan, add water to just cover, simmer uncovered for about 1/2 hour allowing the water to reduce.
5. Heat 1 tsp of the peanut oil in a wok or large frying pan, stir-fry the vegetables until just crisp, and remove from pan.
6. Add remaining peanut oil, garlic and ginger to pan and cook just until fragrant.
7. Add shrimp mixture and stir-fry for a few seconds, then add white wine and shrimp shell broth and cook for a couple of minutes until liquid reduces.
8. Return the vegetables to the pan. Thicken the sauce if necessary, using a mixture of another tsp of cornstarch and 2 Tbsp of water - you may not need to add all of this cornstarch/water mixture, add some, cook gently, and adjust according to taste.
9. When sauce is glossy and of desired thickness, turn out onto a warm plate and garnish with scallions and sesame oil.
10. Serve over rice.