Kung Pao Shrimp with Cashews
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 8 Minutes
Ready In: 18 Minutes
Chiles add heat to succulent shrimp with cashews. It is essential to have all ingredients cut and ready before you start. From Food & Wine magazine.
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 small dried red chilies, 4 halved
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 cup roasted cashews
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1. In a bowl, mix the orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch.
2. In a wok or large frypan, heat the oil over high heat until smoking.
3. Add the chiles and salt; stir-fry until browned, 45 seconds.
4. Add the onion, ginger and garlic; stir-fry until fragrant, 15 seconds.
5. Add the peppers and cook until crisp-tender, 30 seconds.
6. Add the shrimp and stir-fry until nearly cooked through, about 5 minutes.
7. Stir the sauce, add to the wok and cook until thickened slightly, 30 seconds.
8. Stir in the cashews and sesame oil; serve.