1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees, and grease 3 9x5x3 loaf pans.
2. Sprinkle yeast on 1/2 cup warm water; stir to dissolve.
3. Melt shortening in 6-qt saucepan; remove from heat, add honey and remaining 4 1/2 cups warm water.
4. Mix whole wheat flour (stirred before measuring), instant potatoes, dry milk, and salt. Add to saucepan; beat until smooth.
5. Add yeast and bead to blend. Then, with wooden spoon mix, in enough all-purpose flour (61/2 - 8 cups) to make a dough that leaves the sides of the pan.
6. Turn onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and satiny, and small bubles appear (8-10 minutes).
7. Place in lightly greased bowl, turn dough over to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled (1 - 1 1/2 hours).
8. Punch down dough, turn onto board and divide into thirds.
9. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
10. Shape into 3 loaves and place in pans. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
11. Bake in oven about 50, or bread tests done.