1. Combine the sour cream with garlic and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Place the oil in a deep-sided sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions, and cook until translucent.
3. Add the rice and stir well to coat it with the hot oil and onions.
4. Add a very small amount of the chicken broth. The amount you add should sizzle and evaporate immediately. Stir constantly and continue adding liquid very gradually. Do not add more liquid until almost all the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Cook the rice until all the of the liquid has been added then turn off the heat. Add the parmesan cheese and continue to stir constantly until the cheese is melted.
6. Add sour cream mixture to rice. Stir until well combined. Serve immediately.