Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Ready In: 70 Minutes
I grabbed this one from an e-mailed newsletter from the That's My Home. I will definately be making these for my Oscar Party. This looks like it should be done early in the day, so plan accordingly.
1 package frozen puff pastry
2 boneless chicken breasts
1 (8 ounce) package grated monterey jack pepper cheese or 1 (8 ounce) package cheddar cheese
1 onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (4 ounce) can diced mild green chilies
1/2 cup crushed corn tortilla chips
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper
1 egg, beaten with
1 tablespoon water
your favorite salsa
1. Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
2. Season the chicken breasts lightly with salt and pepper, add them to the pan, and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
3. Remove the chicken to the cutting board to cool.
4. Meanwhile, add the onions, celery and spices to the oil that remains in the pan.
5. Add a little more oil if necessary.
6. Saute until the onions are soft.
7. Add the garlic and cook until just starting to brown.
8. Add the chilies and chicken stock to stop the browning process and to collect the browned bits of flavor off the bottom of the pan, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon.
9. As this is coming up to a boil, dice the chicken breast into a small dice and return the chicken to the pan.
10. Add the crushed tortilla chips.
11. Continue to cook until almost all of the liquid is evaporated.
12. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
13. Remove from the heat and chill completely in the refriegerator.
14. When the mixture is cold, add the grated cheese and mix well.
15. Dust your counter with a little flour and spread out the puff pastry.
16. Lightly brusth the pastry with the egg/water mixture.
17. This will help seal the folded puff.
18. Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut the puff sheets into 2-inch x 2-inch squares.
19. Place one tablespoon of fimly packed filling into the center of each square.
20. Fold corner to corner, and crimp with a fork.
21. Pat on a sprayed cookie sheet about one inch apart.
22. Cover and refrigerate until party time.
23. Preheat oven to 400.
24. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
25. Serve with your favorite salsa.