1. Butter the slices all over, both sides and line the dish.
2. Sprinkle over the dried fruit or other fruits (fig and banana - ).
3. Sprinkle approximately 2TB brown sugar over that and add a cover of more buttered bread, covering all the fruit.
4. Pierce the bread a few times and then slowly pour over the milk, letting it all soak into the bread before adding more. When the bread is really sopping with milk sprinkle about 1TB more brown sugar over the top and then a little cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
5. Bake in a low oven, approx 140C, 275F, for a couple of hours until it rises up and the sugar caramelizes on top.
6. Serve hot with ice cream or cold with custard.